Your position: Home > News > New Blogs > Details
Permanent Magnet Safety- Dangers of Neodymium Magnet

Permanent magnets, especially neodymium magnets, are extremely powerful that can be harmful to personal body or damage to the magnets if not used carefully. There is an experiment which can fully demonstrate its tremendous magnetic force.

Harm to health: 

magnetized products with strong magnetic strength may hurt people’s fingers. People who have no idea for modern magnet may ignore the damage caused by permanent magnet.

It needs to handle magnets with care not only for large size, but also for small size. Small size magnets like ball magnets or cube magnets are wonderful toy with highly educational which should belong to adult toys, but not for children. Small children should forbid contact any magnets! Older children should handle magnets only under adult supervision, and completely understanding magnet power, and wearing proper safety equipment if needed. In a word, keep small magnets away from young children who might swallow them.

People with nickel allergies should avoid prolonged contact with nickel plated magnets. This allergic reaction can cause redness and a skin rash.

Influence to pacemakers: pacemakers and defibrillators are sensitive to strong magnetic fields. People, who have pacemaker or defibrillator, or any other electronics, should avoid magnets completely before consulting a doctor!

Physical and Chemical harm: Magnetized products with strong magnetic strength damage magnetic media, such as floppy disks, cassette tapes, credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, video tapes or other such devices. They can also damage televisions, VCRs, cell phones, computer monitors and CRT displays. Please avoid placing permanent magnets near electronic appliances.

Requirements on packing and storage:

 Made of a hard, brittle material, permanent magnets are brittle and fragile. If slam together, magnets will peel, chip, crack or shatter. Eye protection should be used when handling magnets, since shattering magnets can launch small pieces at great speeds.

 Neodymium magnets are easy to get rusty in the presence of moisture.  Even with nickel-copper-nickel plating, magnets are not waterproof. If used in a moist environment, they can corrode and lose magnetic strength.

Strong magnetic fields can interfere with compasses and navigation.Magnetic fields can influence compasses or magnetometers used in air transport, Smartphone and GPS devices. There are rules and regulations cover shipping magnets by air and ground delivery, such as IATA (International Air Transport Association).

Permanent magnets can become demagnetized at high temperatures.While operating temperatures for normal grade is 80°C (175°F), the actual maximum operating temperature of a magnet can vary depend on the material, grade, magnet shape and how it is used.

Neodymium magnet powder or dust is flammable. Avoid drilling or machining neodymium magnets. While grounding into a dust or powder, this material is highly flammable.

1. Magnetized products should be packed with lining and shielding
2. Magnetized products should be stored in ventilated, dry and anti-corrosion places to avoid corrosion.
3. Magnetized products should use special package to isolate magnetic force and keep outer carton no magnetic force.
4. It’s better to stock Magnetized products under room temperature.
5. Move carefully with shake-proof, collision-proof and rain-proof.

Contact information
China Magnets Source Material Limited
Tower B, Qiongzhu Building,
Huawang Rd,Longhua District,
Tel: +86 755 28174720
Fax: +86 755 28174720